Subscribe for Free Apple Podcasts | Google Play Music | RadioPublic | RSS Feed
Andrea Ayres writes the following in a post entitled “How to Bounce Back after Burning Out”.
By the time I was willing to admit to myself that I was burnt out, it was too late. I had withdrawn socially and stopped sleeping. I found myself crying during the middle of the day for no good reason at all. I just wanted to do better, to work as hard as I thought everyone else around me was working. It was easier for me to tell myself to work harder than it was for me to face the truth—that I needed a break.
I run into burned out or nearly burned out people every day. This is a bigger issue than most people pay any attention to until it’s too late. Let’s not wait until then. Let’s take some steps to address burnout before it takes you out. This is a follow-up to last week’s episode, so please download and listen to that episode too.
So, how can we get to the place where we are able to get healthy, take a break, and let the ancient magic of rejuvenation take place?
Oh, it’ll take work! Here are a couple more steps to help us get back to health.
- One: I’m going to talk to couples for a minute. Go get counseling. I’ve worked with hundreds of couples in my life, and here’s something I’ve observed.
- First, many wait for counseling until things are just absolutely terrible. Like, you’ve been miserable for years, instead of having joyful lives, you’ve allowed things to head to the gutter. Maybe, someone has finally threw out the words divorce or break-up in a for real manner, not just the threat. That’s when the door is finally open to having a professional speak into their lives.
- Second, and let me speak to the dudes out there. Your significant other says, “we need some help” and you just brush it off. For me, it was 100% tied to my pridefulness. I figured I could read a book over a weekend and fix all of HER problems. Here’s the deal guys, a third party can help you see your blind spots. A real professional will help you grow and get more from your relationship. And the same is true the other way, she’ll grow and get more from you in the relationship. They help with the five and take the rights and wrongs. Couples counseling was one of the primary ways my marriage was saved. We’re wrapping up year 20 right now. Yes, that means we were married at 18 & 21. We’ll talk more about that some other time.
- Two: The most practical answers that everyone already knows. Get more sleep. Actually, go to the gym. Eat better. I know, I know, it’s the standard answer. But you know what? I could show you hundreds, maybe even thousands of peer-reviewed studies that show you hormonally; psychologically, and physically what it can do for you. So, it’s a matter of doing it. For working out, put it as a time block in your calendar, just like you would an appointment with your boss at work. For food, don’t focus on the end game, it’s just too much. Focus on each good decision you need to make as the day progresses. Make good decisions and if necessary make better bad decisions. For sleep, good luck, I’ve not figured that one out yet. But maybe you’ve figured this sleep thing out. Call in if you have any solutions for getting the right amount. Help us all out!
- According to Scientific American, exposure to constant stress releases the hormones epinephrine, norepinephrine, and cortisol within the body. These hormones block your ability to properly process information—among a host of other health issues they cause.
- Your physical and mental resources need time to regenerate. You didn’t lose them overnight, so you can’t expect to gain them back overnight either. Inch by inch, step by step, brothers and sisters…
- And that’s it, folks. We’ve wrapped up another episode!
- I’m posting a transcript of this podcast onto my website at http://Maven.Show.
- If this is the first Maven Podcast you’ve listened to, please look up past episodes. We’ve covered how to make cold brew, productivity apps, comic books, several that cover the best in fast food, and the top ways to get your caffeine fix. All these episodes exist to help us learn new thing so we can enjoy our whole lives.
- Do you have any thoughts, questions, or comments on what we talked about today? It’s easy to reach out…
- Download the Anchor App in the App Store and call in to tell me about it. I might just publish your thoughts.
- What to chat on Twitter? Find me @RexBOKC. Head to the Facebook page for the Maven Show at https://www.facebook.com/mavenshow and coming soon, The Maven Show on YouTube. I’ll let you know when that’s up and running, but if you’d like to subscribe early so that when content comes out, you’ll have it, just head to rex.click/youtube.
- If you like what you’re hearing, share, share share! I love being at the top of the charts so that we can get more people onboard and enjoying their lives a bit more.
- I’m Rex Barrett and you can find me at Maven.Show or where all fine podcasts are distributed.